Inside Financial Markets

PSO to acquire 4.5% shares in PRL

psoPSO to acquire 4.5% shares in PRL

Pakistan State Oil’s (PSO) Board of Management has approved that PSO shall exercise its pre-emption right to acquire shareholding of Chevron Global Energy Inc (CGEI) in Pakistan Refinery Limited (PRL) to the extent of 4.5% of the shareholding equivalent to 1,575,000 shares. Presently, CGEI total shareholding in PRL stands at 12%.

PSO’s perspective

PSO already holds 18% stake in PRL, where acquisition of another 4.5% stake will take its total shareholding to 22.5%. We believe PSO is raising its stake to have a higher degree of influence on PRL by making it its associate. PSO is likely to report a share of PRL profits in its P&L once the transaction goes through. The same will also confirm PSO’s source of fuel supply, which could potentially been under threat had Pak Arab Refinery (PARCO) acquired CGEI shareholding in PRL. Recall that PARCO has its own marketing arm (TPPL) and had recently acquired Chevron Pakistan (Caltex). The acquisition of shares of PRL could potentially lead to a manageable cash outflow of Rs208mn or Rs0.85/share (based on PRL’s last closing price) for PSO.


PRL’s perspective

PSO will not be required to offer a tender off to acquire additional shares since its cumulative shareholding will be less than 25%, as per the Listed Companies’ Takeover Ordinance.

Sanie Khan

Sanie Khan holds a deep knowledge of the financial markets in Pakistan. Based in Karachi, he has over 20 years of hands-on management experience in financial technologies and managing operations in the financial sector. He was the General Manager at the Pakistan Stock Exchange (PSX) for 17 years. He along-with senior members of Exchange

Add comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

The Canadian Securities Institute


CSI is part of Moody's Analytics Learning Solutions, which offers educational programs and credentials throughout the world.

Email Newsletter

Subscribe to receive inspiration, news, and ideas in your inbox.

Inside Financial Markets was a joint publication of Pakistan Stock Exchange (PSX)and Society of Technical Analysts Pakistan (STAP)